Sergi Abadal received the PhD in Computer Architecture from the Department of Computer Architecture, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Barcelona, Spain, in July 2016. Previously, he had obtained the M.Sc. in Information and Communication Technologies (MINT) and the B.Sc. in Telecommunication Engineering from the Telecommunication Engineering School (Telecom BCN), UPC, Barcelona, Spain, in 2011 and 2010, respectively.
Sergi has held several visiting researcher positions. From September 2009 to May 2010, he was at the Broadband Wireless Networking Lab, Georgia Tech, under the supervision of Prof. Ian F. Akyildiz. For several months in 2015/2017/2019, he has been visiting the i-acoma group, School of Computer Science, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (USA), led by Prof. Josep Torrellas. In July and August 2018, he visited Dr. Liaskos and Dr. Ioannidis at FORTH, Crete, Greece.
Currently, he works as a PostDoc researcher at the N3Cat group, at the Computer Architecture Department of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC). He is the project coordinator of WIPLASH FET-OPEN project, and has participated in several national and EU projects. He is also Area Editor of the Nano Communication Networks (Elsevier) Journal, where we has selected Editor of the Year 2019. From 2020, he acts as one of the ambassadors the European Innovation Council (EIC) through its program of National Champions. His current research interests are in the areas of chip-scale wireless communications, including channel modeling and protocol design, the application of these techniques for the creation next-generation wireless networks for on-chip or within metamaterial networks, and their implications at the architecture/system design level. Sergi is member of the IEEE, ACM, and HiPEAC.
Honors and Awards
- Top 2% scientists in the world in 2020, according to the Stanford’s Ioannidis dataset. September 2021. [DATA]
- National Champion of the European Innovation Council (EIC), designated to ~100 influential researchers and enterpreneurs across Europe. February 2021.
- Editor of the Year at the Nano Communication Networks Journal, awarded to the best performing editor in a natural year. December 2019.
- Nano Communication Networks Journal Young Investigator Award, awarded to a Young researcher active in the fields of Nanoscale Communication and Networking. September 2019. [ANNOUNCEMENT]
- UPC Outstanding Dissertation Award, awarded to best PhD theses at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya. Academic Year 2016. [ANNOUNCEMENT]
- INTEL Fellowship, within the INTEL Doctoral Student Honor Programme, awarded to exceptional PhD candidates pursuing leading-edge innovation in fields related to Intel’s business and research interests in the European Union, Switzerland and Russia. Fall 2013 - Spring 2015.
- Accenture Award, bestowed to the best academic record within the Master in Information and Communication Technologies (MINT) at the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC). September 2012.
- Vodafone Foundation Fellowship, awarded to outstanding graduate students in the Escola Tècnica i Superior d’Enginyeria de Telecomunicació de Barcelona, to conduct graduate research in the USA, Fall 2009-Spring 2010.
- ASPLOS ‘16 Travel Grant, awarded to selected students to attend the 21st ACM International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems, Atlanta, April 2016.
- Sentinel of Science 2016-2017, awarded by the website Publons to the Top 1% of researchers contributing to the peer review of the field of Computer Science, 2017. The same was granted in 2016 to the Top 10% reviewers in Engineering.
- [ESP] Atlas Tecnológico. Quantum is worried about communications. May 2022. [LINK]
- [CAT] L’econòmic. Europe jumps on the quantum bandwagon. April 2022. [LINK]
- [ENG] The Register. Blight the power: Jamming attack cripples wireless signals using clever reflective technology. June 2020. [LINK]
- [CAT] Diari de Terrassa. Interview about 5G: present and future. April 2020. [LINK] [LINK2]
- [ESP] Lavanguardia/El Periódico. Scientists from UPC investigate reconfigurable and programmable metamaterials. July 2017. [LINK] [LINK2]
- [ENG] IEEE Xplore Spotlight. Graphennas: The Wonder Compound Meets Nano-Scale Wireless Communications. October 2015. [LINK]